There are times when you wish you could remotely access your desktop or laptop computer from anywhere on the Internet. Whether you need to remotely access a document, photograph, video or even a software application the Google Chrome Remote Desktop app allows you to quickly and securely connect to your computer from anywhere on the web using a computer, tablet or mobile device.
- The Google Chrome Remote Desktop is a free app available as both a browser app and mobile app for both Android and iOS platforms. The first time you run the Google Chrome Remote Desktop app in your browser, you will be asked to give it numerous permissions so that can work properly.
- Once the Chrome Remote Desktop app has been installed in your browser, you have two different options- you can either share your screen with your friends/ colleagues or you can access your own computer from anywhere on the Internet.
- To be able to access your own computer remotely from anywhere on the web, you need to click on Enable Remote Connections and install the Chrome Remote Desktop Host on your computer. Click on the OK button to continue.
- Next, to protect access to your computer, you need to choose a PIN number of at least 6 digits. Each time you want to connect to your computer remotely through the Internet, you will be asked to enter this PIN number. Click on the button OK and you are now ready to connect to your computer remotely from anywhere on the web.
- Once you are on the remote computer you need to install the Chrome Remote Desktop app on it as well and sign into the same Google account that had signed into earlier. A list of computers associated with your Google Account that you can remotely connect to will automatically get displayed on the screen, Click on the computer you wish to connect to remotely.
- You will now be asked to enter the PIN number you had set on the home computer. Enter the correct PIN number, click on the connect button and within a few seconds you will have remote desktop access to your home computer within the Google Chrome browser of the remote computer. You will now be able to remotely control all functionalities on your computer almost as if you were sitting right in front of it.
- Similarly you can install the Chrome Remote Desktop app on your Android or iOS mobile device to remotely connect to your computer from anywhere on the Internet using your mobile device. Just select the computer you wish to connect to, enter the access PIN number and you will have remote access to your computer.