With the advent of the internet age, the real challenge with information now is not how to get it, but to manage the constant stream of it. We’re all familiar with looking at the clock in horror and realizing just how much time has gone into social networking or entertainment, or even reading articles and following news – without us realizing it. This happens often enough on a computer, but with Smartphone’s streaming the net literally into the palms of our hands, one almost needs an external helper to control and manage our time on out devices.
- When it comes to the mobile space, I’m quite a fan of an application called Rescue Time .The name is apt, because that’s exactly what it does – it rescues our time – from us. If you ever worry about wasting too much time on Face book, YouTube or Twitter or anywhere else on the internet – then this might just be a really useful tool to have on hand. What Rescue Time does is basically track your online activity – and tell you exactly how much time you’ve spent where – and how productive you day has been. The application is free to download and available on all platforms – Mac, Windows as well as IOS. There’s also a premium version with expanded features available, in case you’re serial upgrade.
- To begin with, you’ll need to download the application from the website, and then install it. Installation steps are explained in detail on the website.
- Once that’s done, you’ll be asked to set a few preferences to help Rescue Time track and monitor your online productivity, by assigning different categories of website to either the ‘distracting’ or the ‘productive’ menus. Once you’ve assigned a website, Rescue Time tracks your time spent on it, and lets you know how productive or wasted your time has been. You can even set preferences to ensure certain websites don’t get tracked, depending on how you want to assess your online time. An additional advantage of Rescue Time is that in addition to just measuring your time, you can also set time – management goals and the application will help you measure your progress towards them. Don’t forget to set youth time zone though, as the application needs that information to function properly!
- Once you’ve assigned your categories, all you need to do is track your activity using the quick access popup in the application.
- Now all you need to do is visit your Rescue Time dashboard and you’ll be able to see the analysis of your tine online, depicted both as statistics well as graphs so you can get a snapshot of how you’ve used your time at a glance. You can even track your weekly or long term time goals via the dashboard. As a bonus, the application also sends you an email that summarizes your entire week, so you can track your usage and time management over the course of several days.