Price most management gurus and cricket commentators keep saying, contest is important. Many times when you have a lot of things to do, the problem is not so much actually doing them as organizing our brain to think about them in a logical manner. It’s amazing what just being able to organize your work and tasks and thoughts related to it can do for your productivity – and even more importantly, your peace of mind. And if that is something you’re looking to achieve, then one application you definitely need to check out is Workflowy.
- Workflowy is fantastic and yet incredibly simple application that can do wonders in just helping you organize your life – and indeed your brain better. To get Workflowy, just visit the site mentioned and use your email address to sign up to use the application.
- The first thing you’ll see when you open Workflowy is virtually blank screen. Don’t panic – it’s supposed to look like that! To get stated, just hit the Enter or Return key and you can put down your to-do list, in a nice, neat bullet pointed format. Which brings us to the USP of the application – the bullet points are almost infinitely expandable an collapsible, making it easy for you make notes, mark points, decide workflowy basically organize your thought process completely so you can focus on the task at hand. To begin with, just enter your basic tasks to do as bullet points. One word of advice vis-à-vis this app – do take the time to watch the introductory videos. You’ll save a whole lot of time if you do. And if you’re the really efficiency seeking sort, there are of keyboard shortcuts to even further speed up your working on the application.
- The next important thing to keep in mind about using Workflowy has to do with notes. Just click on a bullet point and a small drop down menu appears. Choose the notes option and you can make as many notes as you like under each bullet point. These can be further expanded or collapsed as per your convenience. In this way, it’s possible to get almost an infinite amount of data down on your worksheet – or at least as much as your available space permits!
- Another really useful feature to keep in mind when using Workflowy is that of tags. By using a hash tag symbol, just like on Twitter or Facebook, you can tag items and notes on your work list. Once you’ve done that, all you need to do is click on tag, and Workflowy will bring up a list of all the items carrying that tag. It’s an almost scarily efficient way to focus your attention on specific tasks. For instance, if you need to achieve a certain set of tasks today, just tag everything you need to do today, and Workflowy will line them up for you. All you need to do then is go through your list one by one, and what’s more, Workflowy also gives you the option of marking them as done, so you can keep track.
- One more great option Workflowy provides you with is the ability to share your work with other. To do so, just click on a bullet point, just as you did to bring up the notes. You’ll notice another option in the drop down menu, marked share. Simply click on this, and Workflowy will give you the option to share the bullet point and its associated notes. You can even customize how much control you want to give those you share it with. So, in case you’re working with someone, you can choose to allow them to edit it, or you can merely allow other to see the shared item. Once you’ve chosen your control level, Workflowy will generate a secret link that you can send whoever you wish the share your work with. It’s a great and really useful addition- and it’s just the tip of the iceberg as this application is concerned!